The officiating in Super Bowl XL was really crappy.
The ticky-tack push off early in the game was understandable, and it happened so early the Seahawks had plenty of time to recover. But then we had
- The questionable touchdown for Pittsburgh that even the linesman couldn’t make his mind up about
- The holding penalty that negated a first and goal at the one
- The odd chop block call on Hasselbeck
- The touchdown called out-of-bounds when the receiver’s left foot came down out-of-bounds after kicking the pylon (which is in bounds and an extension of the goal line!)
- The refs trying to give the ball back to the Steelers on an obvious Hasselbeck non-fumble late in the game.
I really had not interest either way in who won this game. I’m just making an observation from an uninterested outsider: The officiating was atrocious.